A new twist on the classic pesto, this pea pesto uses frozen peas and fresh mint in place of basil. The peas ‘meaty-up’ the pasta and the mint gives a fresh element to the dish. I like to play around with my herbs sometimes and this one worked out very nicely!
Nutrition info: 1 cup of cooked green peas contains 39% of vitamin K, 36% manganese and 26% copper – all important when it comes to building bone health.
Yield: 4 -6 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Suitable add ons:
- sautéed prawns or scallops
- 1 pkg. organic whole wheat pasta
- 3 cups organic frozen peas
- 2 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup organic mint leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp. organic lemon zest
- 1 organic lemon, squeezed for juice
- 1/4 cup organic raw pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta to packaged directions
- While pasta is cooking blanch frozen peas in boiling water for 1-2 minutes
- Then add 2 cups of peas, garlic, mint, lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts and extra virgin olive oil in a food processor or blender until smooth
- Add parmesan and blend until smooth and add salt and pepper to your liking
- Add 1 cup of leftover peas to the pesto, but do not blend
- Once pasta is ready mix with pea pesto and serve!