Please note: This competition is now closed. A big thank you to everyone who participated. And congratulations to our winners –– Patricia, Carin, and Betty!
October 20th is World Osteoporosis Day. Traditionally, it’s a day where we’re reminded of the scary statistics and bleak consequences of osteoporosis.
But who needs any more depressing news right now?! And besides, poor bone health is not a foregone conclusion. With that in mind, we thought a bit of fun was in order, along with some positivity…
So, we hosted a scavenger hunt –– one that provides a positive message about increasing bone density along with actionable tips you can implement today!
How the World Osteoporosis Day Scavenger Hunt Works
The World Osteoporosis Day Scavenger Hunt competition is now over. But you can still complete the scavenger hunt!
Our hope is that you’ll have some fun “hunting” around the AlgaeCal website. And that you’ll take the time to read the pages involved in the scavenger hunt. And even better… share the information you read with your loved ones.
Because the core message of World Osteoporosis Day is to raise awareness about bone health and what you can do to have strong, healthy bones for life. And that’s a message we try to promote every day of the year.
Here’s how it works:
A little further down this post, you’ll find three sets of questions.
Now, the questions are bone-health related, and all of the answers are “hidden” somewhere on the AlgaeCal website!
Your task is to “hunt down” the answers. But don’t worry, we’ll give you a helping hand. For each question, there’s a hint that provides a clickable link to the page you’ll find the answer on.
Scavenger Hunt #1 – The AlgaeCal Website
Search around the AlgaeCal website for the answers to the following questions. We think you’ll discover some helpful bone-health tips along the way!
- How many essential bone-supporting minerals are there? Hint: They’re all in AlgaeCal Plus, and you’ll find the answer here
- Name one of the 3 “Ps” to look out for when you’re choosing an omega 3 supplement. You’ll find the answer on our guide to choosing an omega 3 supplement
- How much protein do researchers recommend older adults get every day? Hint: You’ll find the answer on our ultimate guide to protein
- What percent of bone density can someone over the age of 40 expect to lose every year? Hint: You’ll find the answer here
- How many years was the 2016-Ragus-award-winning study on AlgaeCal Plus and Strontium Boost carried out for? Hint: You’ll find the answer here
Once you’ve completed the scavenger hunt, scroll down to the bottom of this post to check whether your answers are correct.
Scavenger Hunt #2 – The Newsletter Hunt
The image below is found at the top of every email I send for the AlgaeCal newsletter. Your task is very simple… tell me what the blacked-out phrase says.
(Hint: If you haven’t signed up for the AlgaeCal newsletter to receive all the latest bone-health news, bone-healthy recipes, and exercises for low bone density, you can do so below. I send a newsletter every Wednesday and Saturday!)
Scavenger Hunt #3 – The AlgaeCal Community Exclusive Hunt
Did you know AlgaeCal customers get exclusive access to the AlgaeCal Community?
The AlgaeCal Community is a Facebook group dedicated to providing extra support to AlgaeCal customers on their bone health journeys.
Our 12,000 + AlgaeCal Community members can:
- Participate in exclusive competitions like this one
- Pick the brains of our Bone Health Experts and get answers to your personal bone-health questions
- Discover community-exclusive content like interviews with the brightest minds in bone health, and guided yoga classes
- See what women and men working towards better bone health are finding useful in their bone-health regimens
And the best part? The AlgaeCal Community is completely free for AlgaeCal customers. You’ll find all the details on how to join the community here.
If that weren’t enough, we like to treat our AlgaeCal Community members every now and then…
Like this BONUS scavenger hunt!
To enter, answer the following question:
What is the name of “UNIT 1” in the AlgaeCal Community’s “Units” tab?
HINT: You’ll find the answer in the “units” tab at the top of the AlgaeCal Community Facebook group.
The AlgaeCal Website Scavenger Hunt Answers
The current recommended daily allowance (RDA) for protein intake is 0.8 g per kg of body weight. But this RDA was set over a decade ago, and experts now believe it’s not an adequate amount. Especially for older adults… The original RDA for protein was set with preventing a deficiency in mind. Not for promoting optimal health. And the recommendations were based on studies conducted in young, healthy adults. So the RDA fails to take into account the physiological changes that occur with aging. Changes that occur with aging include:
- Sarcopenia – As discussed, you start to lose muscle mass every year as you age. The exact amount of muscle loss varies from person to person, but research suggests the average rate of muscle loss for people over 70 is 0.5-1% per year.
- Reduced Ability to Make Muscle – Again, as discussed, you start to develop an anabolic resistance to amino acids as you age. In simple terms, that means you become less efficient at turning the protein you consume into muscle.
So bearing these points in mind, more recent research recommends older adults consume 1-1.5 g of protein per kg of body weight.Close
At around 40 (generally speaking) the natural bone remodeling process becomes unbalanced. Your osteoclasts start to remove bone quicker than your osteoblasts can replace it. This leads to bone loss– you can expect to lose about 1% of your bone density every year from 40 onwards.Close
Question 5: How many years was the 2016-Ragus-award-winning study on AlgaeCal Plus and Strontium Boost carried out for?
Terms and Conditions
- AlgaeCal is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Claims made on algaecal.com have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug administration.
- The competition prizes are: – Main draw prize bundle – 1x Amazon Kindle Paperweight set, Your Bones (eBook), Food Fix (eBook), Digestive Wellness (eBook), + 1 x Fitbit Charge 4, + 6 months subscription to Glo online exercise classes – Newsletter draw – 1x Amazon Kindle Paperweight set, Your Bones (eBook), Food Fix (eBook), Digestive Wellness (eBook) + 6 months subscription to Glo online exercise classes – AlgaeCal Community exclusive draw – 1x Amazon Kindle Paperweight set, Your Bones (eBook), Food Fix (eBook), Digestive Wellness (eBook) + 6 months subscription to Glo online exercise classes — No purchase is necessary.
- Only 1 winner will be selected for each prize during this giveaway.
- Participants must be 18 or over to participate.
- Participants must leave a valid email address so that they can be contacted if selected as winner.
- The winners will be selected at random.
- The winners must claim his/her prize within 7 days of receiving an email from AlgaeCal about their prize. If 7 days pass without hearing from the winner, the winner forfeits the prize, whereupon AlgaeCal reserves the right to retain the product or randomly select a new winner.
- AlgaeCal holds the right to disqualify any entry as they see fit.
- AlgaeCal does not do exchanges/returns of any of the products that make up the prize. That means the winner cannot exchange the prize for a different prize from the AlgaeCal website. The prize cannot be swapped or returned for the equivalent cash value.
- The winner will have the products shipped directly to their provided address.
- The product will be shipped within 3 business days after the winner provides a shipping address. Total shipping time will vary depending on winner’s location.
- The winner does not have to pay for postage/shipping charges.
- AlgaeCal is not responsible for any lost items during transit.
- AlgaeCal will provide the tracking number for the shipment.