Are you looking for a recipe that contains calcium but absolutely zero dairy? Well you’re in luck! Today I am going to share this easily prepared, vegan casserole dish. The yummy combination of crunchy kale and broccoli, with creamy coconut milk sauce, will leave you wanting more!
In fact, this casserole dish is now one of my favourite meals to prepare. Why? Well not only is this meal extremely nutritious and good for bone health, it is also very easy to prepare.
For those who do not have lots of time to cook, this recipe is perfect for you.
Prepare this dish at the beginning of your week and you will have yourself a week’s worth of high calcium goodness! Simply freeze your leftovers and reheat as needed.
Now, enough talk. Let’s dive right into this recipe!
Total Cook Time: 45-50 Minutes
- Oven-friendly casserole dish (9 x 9 inch, or large if you are adding extra veggies)
- Medium-large mixing bowl
- Food processor/blender
- Medium sauce-pan
- Cutting board
- 3 cups of chopped kale
- 3 cups of cooked quinoa
- 2 cups of roughly chopped broccoli
- ½ cup of swiss chard
- ½ cup of diced white onion
- Your choice of fresh herb for garnish
- For non-vegans: you can also add an egg to this casserole
It’s possible to add any other vegetable you like to this casserole. It’s very versatile 🙂
- 1.875 cups of coconut milk (just under 2 cups), ideally from a carton/box
- 1.75 cups of cannellini cooked beans, drained or Great Northern beans, drained (slightly less creamy texture) –
(Tip: If you buy canned beans be sure to rinse them well before adding them in)
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp of rough chopped thyme
- 1 tsp of rough chopped rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly and cook in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, cover and let it simmer until tender. Check and taste occasionally for tenderness.
- Combine the coconut milk, beans, yeast, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper into a blender or food processor and blend the ingredients until the mixture becomes a smooth flowing puree consistency.
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, combine the chopped kale, quinoa, broccoli, swiss chard and white onion.
- Next, pour half of the sauce mixture in the mixing bowl with the chopped vegetables and quinoa and mix.
- Thinly and evenly oil the casserole dish
- Place the combined mixture into a casserole dish and then pour the remainder of the sauce overtop of the mixture ensuring that the top layer is evenly sauced.
- Place the casserole dish in oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once completed, take the casserole dish out of the oven and let it cool down (7-10 minutes).
- Serve and Enjoy!
This delicious, dairy-free casserole is jam packed with calcium rich ingredients. Just the leafy green vegetables alone (3 cups of broccoli and kale) pulls in about 468 mg of calcium and they are also full of vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K. ¹⁻²
This recipe also contains quinoa, a light and healthy whole grain and for this casserole, it contributes around 94.5 mg of calcium. ³
As for protein? The cannellini beans (1.75 cups) have about 21 grams of it and the coconut milk (1.875 cups) contributes around 10.3 grams. ⁴⁻⁵
Now there are some healthy nutritional numbers for your bones! I hope you enjoy this hearty and balanced casserole. With all of it’s beneficial ingredients, your body and bones will thank you!
Be sure to let us know how your dish turned out in the comments below!
Recipes for stronger bones
32 Delicious Recipes Packed
Full of Calcium and Magnesium