Are you looking for a recipe that contains calcium but absolutely zero dairy? Well, you’re in luck! Today I am going to share this easily prepared, vegan casserole dish. The yummy combination of crunchy kale and broccoli, with creamy coconut milk sauce, will leave you wanting more!
In fact, this casserole dish is now one of my favorite meals to prepare. Why? Well not only is this meal extremely nutritious and good for bone health, it is also very easy to prepare.
For those who do not have lots of time to cook, this recipe is perfect for you.
Prepare this dish at the beginning of your week and you will have yourself a week’s worth of high calcium goodness! Simply freeze your leftovers and reheat as needed.
Now, enough talk. Let’s dive right into this recipe!
This delicious, dairy-free casserole is jam-packed with calcium-rich ingredients. Just the leafy green vegetables alone (3 cups of broccoli and kale) pulls in about 468 mg of calcium and they are also full of vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K. ¹⁻²
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
|Total Time||1 hour|
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly and cook in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, cover and let it simmer until tender. Check and taste occasionally for tenderness.
- Combine the coconut milk, beans, yeast, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper into a blender or food processor and blend the ingredients until the mixture becomes a smooth flowing puree consistency.
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, combine the chopped kale, quinoa, broccoli, swiss chard, and white onion.
- Next, pour half of the sauce mixture in the mixing bowl with the chopped vegetables and quinoa and mix.
- Thinly and evenly oil the casserole dish
- Place the combined mixture into a casserole dish and then pour the remainder of the sauce overtop of the mixture ensuring that the top layer is evenly sauced.
- Place the casserole dish in oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once completed, take the casserole dish out of the oven and let it cool down (7-10 minutes).
- Serve and Enjoy!
It's possible to add any other vegetable you like to this casserole. It's very versatile 🙂
Tip: If you buy canned beans be sure to rinse them well before adding them in.
- 9 x 9 inch oven friendly casserole dish (or large if you are adding extra veggies)
- medium-large mixing bowl
- food processor/blender
- medium sauce pan
- cutting board
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 3 cups quinoa cooked
- 2 cups broccoli roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup swiss chard
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1 egg
- 1.8 (just under 2 cups) cups coconut milk ideally from a carton/box
- 1.8 cups cannellini beans cooked and drained, or Great Northern beans drained (slightly less creamy texture)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp thyme rough chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary rough chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- your choice of fresh herb
This recipe also contains quinoa, a light, and healthy whole grain and for this casserole, it contributes around 94.5 mg of calcium. ³
As for protein? The cannellini beans (1.75 cups) have about 21 grams of it and the coconut milk (1.875 cups) contributes around 10.3 grams. ⁴⁻⁵
Now there are some healthy nutritional numbers for your bones! I hope you enjoy this hearty and balanced casserole. With all of its beneficial ingredients, your body and bones will thank you!
Be sure to let us know how your dish turned out in the comments below!
Recipes for stronger bones
32 Delicious Recipes Packed
Full of Calcium and Magnesium