I don’t know about you, but sometimes it doesn’t matter how much I love salads (which is a lot). They can get a little, well… boring!
That’s why I’m always on the lookout for recipes that make salad exciting and surprising again. And that’s just what I’ve found with this Asian-style chicken slaw salad.
This fresh, colorful salad really has it all. Lots of satisfying crunch. A dressing that’s both tangy and creamy. A hint of spiciness. A bit of sweetness, too (but without any added sugar).
And not only is it easy and quick to prepare. It’s packed with nutrient- and fiber-packed veggies that are good for your bones! For instance, red bell pepper (which is actually a fruit… I often forget that!) is a very high source of vitamin C. Red cabbage also has lots of calcium, potassium and vitamins C and K. And pumpkin seeds provide protein, magnesium and fiber.
This recipe is perfect for vegetarians and vegans, but some shredded chicken breast makes a great addition. That way, you’ll also be adding more protein, which is crucial for bone health. I almost always have some leftover chicken in the fridge, so I just shred it with a couple of forks, and toss it in with the rest of the salad ingredients.
This salad makes a great side dish, but it’s also substantial enough that I enjoy it as a main course. So, let’s get started — it’ll be ready in minutes!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- Prep your dressing. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl until they’re thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a separate bowl. Use as much basil, cilantro and pumpkin seeds as you prefer.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately. (If you like, add a little more soy sauce.)
The chicken is totally optional. Leave it out for a vegetarian version of this salad.
- 1/2 head napa cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- fresh basil
- fresh cilantro
- 2 cups chicken breast shredded
- pumpkin seeds
- 6 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 5 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger root peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
Asian Chicken Slaw Salad Takeaways
Most of us know we should be eating more fruits and veggies. One of the best ways to ensure you’re getting enough is to prepare them in creative ways that actually make them craveable. They don’t have to be boring… and this salad proves it! The variety of flavors and textures is so delicious and satisfying, you may forget you’re actually doing your body a favor. (That includes your bones!)
I hope you enjoy this tasty salad as much as I do. Please let me know your thoughts in the comments section below. And if you customize the recipe in your own special way, I’d love to hear about that, too!