With the weather turning and the leaves changing it means it’s officially soup season!
This fall, the AlgaeCal Kitchen brings you a simple and delicious 8-ingredient broccoli and spinach soup recipe. We wanted to make it easy to whip up a warming soup with as little ingredients as possible, without compromising taste! After a few tweaks, we think we’ve got it.
The two main standouts in this recipe are broccoli and spinach. Broccoli is one of the most popular cruciferous vegetables and is enjoyed worldwide in many cuisines. Research has shown that a diet rich in broccoli can play a role in the prevention of chronic diseases such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Plus, broccoli is rich in calcium vitamin K, C, chromium, folate, and fiber!
Spinach is a calcium-rich food that also boasts vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, folate, and magnesium. Research has shown it can help manage elevated blood pressure, decrease oxidative stress, and improve eye health. Together, along with leeks and parsley they give this recipe a beautiful, vibrant green color.
While this recipe has only a handful of ingredients, it does not lack in bone-building nutrients.
So check out the video below to see exactly how it’s done!
8-Ingredient Broccoli and Spinach Soup
Try this broccoli and spinach soup alongside grilled sandwiches or a simple salad!
And, if you want to add a little kick, the following are some exciting add-ons: 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast (for a cheesy, vegan taste), 1 tsp. paprika (for an extra flavor dimension) and 1 fresh lemon, juiced (for an excellent source of vitamin C and immune booster).
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
|Total Time||45 minutes|
- 1 small handful parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups veggie broth (can also use low-sodium veggie broth or bone broth instead)
- 1 bunch broccoli chopped
- 1 small russet potato chopped
- 5 ounces spinach chopped
- 2 small leeks chopped
- 1 pinch salt plus more to taste
- 1 pinch pepper plus more to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat add the olive oil and then the chopped leeks and potatoes.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until softened - about 5 minutes.
- Add the veggie broth and broccoli. Simmer until tender – about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach until wilted. Transfer to a blender or hand blend until smooth.
- Add chopped parsley to top and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
*Swapping your veggie broth with low-sodium veggie broth will reduce the amount of sodium per serving. Also, bone broth (which will no longer make it vegan) is an excellent substitute as it's low in sodium and will provide other bone-building minerals.
Do you have a fall soup recipe that you turn to every year? Let us know in the comments below!