With COVID-19 top of mind, we wanted to address any concerns you may have about the safety of our products.
We’ve taken several measures to prevent the transfer of COVID-19. And to help ease your mind, we’ll go over everything from our company safety initiatives to our manufacturing processes in this post.
What the AlgaeCal Team is Doing to Keep Safe During COVID-19
Before we get into what our shipping department is doing to ensure the safety of products, here’s a key point to keep in mind:
If you’re worried about COVID-19 being on your AlgaeCal product bottles, the best thing to do is wait 9 days before opening the package — this is the absolute maximum amount of time the virus can survive on a surface.
This recommendation is based on a study that reviewed the literature on all available viruses in this family, and found that the maximum amount of time the human pathogens can live on surfaces is 9 days. The researchers noted on average, this family of viruses can survive between 4 and 5 days.
But if you wanted to be extremely cautious, then you could wait a full 9 days before opening your package and rest easy knowing the virus couldn’t possibly survive longer.
That said, our shipping department is taking extra precautions to prevent any transfer of COVID-19 on product bottles in the first place.
These measures include:
- Closely monitoring the health of everyone in our shipping department.
- Arranging personal transportation to the office every day to ensure no one is exposing themselves by taking public transit.
- Implementing additional sanitation rules that include regular hand-washing and maintaining distance between workstations.
- Shippers are also wearing protective gloves and masks to prevent any transfer of bacteria.
- Wiping down and sterilizing all bottles before packing and shipping them.
- A ban on travel for anyone in our shipping department. (This is also strongly encouraged company-wide.)
With the exception of shipping, the AlgaeCal team is working from home to minimize the amount of people in the office.
As a team, we’re also holding regular meetings (remotely, of course!), to exchange tips for staying healthy and productive. And we’ve appointed a COVID-19 point person — our Customer Success Coach, Patrick. Patrick is tasked with keeping abreast with the latest COVID-19 updates, so we can stay ahead of the situation.
On another note, AlgaeCal deliveries will continue to arrive in a timely manner — so far deliveries in North America have been uninterrupted. We hope that continues indefinitely!
Our hours of operation are also unchanged, and our services will continue as usual.
If you have any questions or concerns, our knowledgeable team of Bone Health Consultants is here for you. Visit this page to get in touch.
AlgaeCal Manufacturing and Safety Standards
One of the most common questions we’ve received is, “Where is AlgaeCal manufactured?” People have also asked, “Where does AlgaeCal come from?
So here, we’ll explain the manufacturing chain. Plus, we’ll cover the practices in place at our manufacturing facilities that ensure the safety of our products.
Where is AlgaeCal Manufactured?
We have two manufacturing facilities — one in Canada and the other in the United States — where safety standards are high and infection risk is low. Our Canadian facility is located in Burnaby, British Columbia, and our American facility is in Long Island, New York.
Both manufacturers are cGMP certified. cGMP stands for “current good manufacturing practices”, as laid out by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These practices ensure the safety and purity of all dietary supplements. (If you’d like to read more about cGMP, visit this page.)
Here are a few of the most important cGMP measures that keep our product safe:
- Cross-contamination occurs when ingredients are exposed to bacteria or other microorganisms. So the first line of defense for any manufacturing facility is a proper ventilation system that eliminates bacteria using negative air pressure.
- Our facilities have negative pressure HEPA filtered air systems in place that pull all particles out of the air, which prevents cross-contamination. Note this is the level of filtration recommended in the Environmental Infection Control Guidelines by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
- Production areas are also supplied with 100% sterile air through UV light systems.
- All personnel are required to wear protective equipment, which includes cGMP certified gowns, shoe covers, gloves, hoods, and masks. This prevents bacteria transfer during manufacturing. Plus, any bacteria that might escape into the air is sucked out by the negative pressure filtration system.
- There are also strict gowning and de-gowning procedures that ensure protective equipment is always sterile and safe.
Where Does AlgaeCal Come From?
As you may know, AlgaeCal is sourced from a unique marine algae called Lithothamnium superpositum. We harvest Lithothamnium superpositum from the shores of a remote area in South America. The algae is then milled into a powder, which is the raw version of AlgaeCal. This powder is certified USDA organic, and it’s tested for quality and safety before shipping to North America.
Some Quick COVID-19 Safety Tips
You’ve no doubt read your fair share of articles with tips for dealing with COVID-19. But it never hurts to be reminded of the little things you can do to stay safe!
So, here are the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) recommendations to help protect yourself from COVID-19:
“Clean your hands often”
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
“Avoid close contact”
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
It’s also worth noting that many of the nutrients in AlgaeCal Plus are beneficial for your immune system. AlgaeCal Plus contains vitamins C, D, and K2 plus several minerals supportive of healthy immune function. So in addition to helping you build strong bones, AlgaeCal bolsters your immunity. For more information on the nutrients in AlgaeCal Plus that support immune health, visit this page.
Wishing You and Your Loved Ones Safety and Health
I hope you’ll take some comfort knowing that AlgaeCal products are safe. And that we’re doing our part as a company to prevent any transfer of COVID-19.
The team at AlgaeCal wishes you and your loved ones weather this storm with no ill effects to your health or finances — and we extend our empathy to everyone facing challenges right now.